Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Natural Organic Insecticide


Hello everyone,

I have a great pest control  tip  for you today.

I have been researching for an organic insecticide and want  to share with you a product  I am excited about.   It  can help  keep some money in your pocket  while protecting you,  your pets,  and your home and garden from pests. 


The product is   "Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth" or DE.   It is the mineral, Silica.  It is also called Fossil Shell Flour.    It is  off white talc-like power from the fossilized remains of marine phytoplankton called diatom.

DE does not harm mammals.  It  kills bugs and parasites when it gets on the bug and creates   tiny, razor like cuts in the exoskeleton.  The bugs dehydrate from the fluid loss and they also carry it on their body back to the nest.  

You can even eat food grade DE, actually we already  do.    It  is  used to keep stored grain free of insects,  it is used as an anti-caking agent, it is added to animal feed and it is used in making filtration devices.    It is also added to a number of supplements and used as a detoxifying agent.   Actually the list is pretty exhaustive. 

I ordered some DE  and on the  very day it arrived my kitchen was invested with ghost ants.  I had the perfect opportunity to test the effectiveness of DE.   

I am happy to report it did very well.  I dusted inside kitchen cabinets, around counters and where ever I saw the ants.  The ants would find entrances where I did not put the powder over the next several days so they kept me very busy.  I believe they now know  my kitchen is not a hospitable environment and they are starting to pack up and move on.  They are very smart ants, they avoided the powder immediately as if they knew it was not good for them.  

The stuff is great if you have a cat or dog since it is so safe.  According to the folks who sell it you can even add it to pet food to de-worm them.  

The price of DE  is reasonable and  much less expensive than buying flea soaps, shampoos and aerosols.  Dust around pet beds and on the pets, as well as around the house.   
Use against Ants, Fleas, Ticks, Cockroaches, Earwigs, Slugs, Beetles, Flies, Silverfish, Bed Bugs and many other pests indoors and out, naturally, without harsh synthetic chemicals!

See the Material Safety Data Sheet at this link;  http://www.earthworkshealth.com/Doc/DEMSDS.pdf

Highest regards,

Susan Ellison RN BSN RTC
Conscious Consumer
Kitchen Chemist
Tree Hugger

No comments:

Post a Comment