Thursday, July 31, 2014

Using Joy to Deflect Fear

This spring I faced a very stressful situation and used joy to deflect my fears and anxiety.

The radiologist told me there was a suspicious area on my screening mammogram.  Well, this was not news I wanted to receive!  To make matters worse,  I was told it would be two weeks before I could get a diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound in order to have a more definitive view of the area.

I wondered how I would get through the next two weeks with out stressing myself out knowing I could potentially be told I had breast cancer.  I didn't like having to wait this long but I did like having time to work with my mind and emotions while I waited for the final diagnosis.  I wanted to create a state within myself that could accept whatever life handed to me without being overwhelmed with fear and I wanted to be free of anxiety and worry while I waited for the upcoming tests.

During this same time period,  I was in the process of learning several songs which I would be singing with the choir I was part of  and I decided I would use this  to create more joy  in me and deflect anxiety and worry. Nothing brings me more joy than singing with the choir so it was the perfect choice for me.


All my spare time was used to practice the songs we were working on.  One piece I was working on was a song  I wrote and our music director had invited me to sing it during our Sunday church service and one piece was one I would be singing with two other women at an annual talent show.  

All this could not have happened at a more perfect time.  My mind could stay focused on the things I loved and my time would not be spent in worry.  I spent the entire two weeks singing as often as I could and I allowed joy to fully awaken  in me and with mindfulness I sent this this joy into every cell of my body, affirming I was whole and well.

The morning I went for the diagnostic studies I took all my music with me because I knew I would have time to work on it while I waited.  I wanted to keep my mind focused and keep my joyful state active.   I sang my heart out as I sat in the tiny room waiting for the doctor to come and tell me her findings.   I had pre-paved my calmness during this day by cultivating a state of joy during the previous two weeks. Not once did I give into fear!

When the doctor and the tech entered the room they both had very solemn expressions on their faces and I thought to myself,  " they really should have more positive expressions when they deliver good news to people."  I had convinced myself it would be good news and their sour expressions did not phase me!  And it was good news! There was no indication of cancer!

Surely, they thought it strange when they walked into the room and saw this woman, who was waiting for a possibly very serious diagnosis to be delivered,  sitting there beaming with joy.  Believe me when I tell you I was beaming!  Not only was singing keeping me in a joyful state but a friend  surprised me and showed up to be with me during this time.  I could not have been happier.  I could feel my joy radiating out into the room. They must have felt it too.

Did my refusal to give in to worry and fear affect my outcome?  I believe it did.  I believe I could have made myself ill, even create cancer,  during those two weeks by worrying and living in fear every moment. Our minds and emotional states creates the medium the cells of our body reside in and those states promote either illness or health.

I am very grateful for the outcome I had and grateful for the knowledge I have of the power of the minds affect on the body.  

May all be well and at peace.

Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment